Ever find yourself in the grocery store wondering where to start? Trying to figure out what to buy to make healthier choices? There can be so much confusion about what to eat and which products are the best – and pretty packaging can really pull you in to impulse buys!
You might be choosing items that say things like “low carb,” “low fat,” “no added sugar,” and “sugar-free,” so why aren’t you seeing the results you want in your weight loss goals or energy levels? You aren’t sure if these items are the best choices, but you do need something that is EASY, right? Well, keep reading for a list of items that will help clean up your grocery cart.
The BEST tip that everyone should follow is to shop the perimeter of the grocery store first! Fill your cart with fruits, veggies, and lean proteins. In most places, all of these items are NOT down the aisles, they are all around the edge or perimeter of the store.
Once you have finished shopping the perimeter, truck down the aisles for these staple items:
- Snack bars such as Rx Bars or low sugar Kind bars. General guidelines are to look for 7-14 grams of protein, 9-18 grams of carbohydrates, and 3-6 grams of fat.
- Low calorie/low sodium frozen meals. Pair with salad, fruits, or veggies.
- Low sodium deli meat/vegan meat alternatives. Pair with avocado, salad or veggies, and fruit for a quick lunch or with hummus for a quick snack.
- Pre-cooked brown rice and quinoa (you can save up to 45 minutes by doing this).
- Black beans/chick peas in a can are a great source of fiber.
- SALSA!! It goes great on everything and is naturally low calorie.
- Frozen ‘steam fresh’ veggie bags – just pop them in the microwave.
- Dark Chocolate with 70% or more cacao to curb a sweet tooth.
While this is NOT a comprehensive list of items, it is a great start! Making small sustainable changes is the best way to achieve and maintain progress.
If you need more accountability and help to level up your nutrition, book a free nutrition information session, our ‘No Snack Intro’, by clicking here!